Better late than never!
It was a rough year for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. When it was time to look back, though, it was easier for me to remember the positive stuff. It’s probably good to leave the negative things in the past anyway.
Here are some bright spots from the dumpster fire that was The Year of Our Lord 2016:
- Started a bullet journal to use as an external brain (made it easy to compile this list)
- Visited Sapporo for the snow festival. Used the onsen while it was snowing!
- Visited Osaka, Manila, Singapore, Colombo, Mumbai, Goa, Phuket, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Yokohama on the ship’s spring patrol
- Visited the distillery for my favorite adult beverage (Yamazaki)
- Visited New Zealand surreptitiously (sorry)
- Skydived from 12,000 ft over Lake Wanaka
- Skiied on The Remarkables in Queenstown
- Climbed Mt Fuji
- Paid off my student loans
- Made PO1
- Reenlisted (sorry again)
- Got my first NAM
- Got my first buzz cut
- Got my first tattoo
- Saw Tegan and Sara live in Tokyo
- Saw Mitski live in Providence
- Saw The Orbiting Human Circus live in Providence
- Hamilton happened
- The election cycle finally ended
- New albums from David Bowie, Tegan and Sara, Beyonce, Mitski, Lady Gaga, and Utada Hikaru
- Went to work for another division on the ship (X-3)
- Left the ship and Japan for good lmao bye af
- Took 75 total days of leave throughout the year and no one stopped me?
- Navy dissolved the rating system, then brought it back right before Christmas
- Former CTT became MCPON
- Read some stuff
- Went to Block Island (for the first time) with my favorites for New Years Eve!
Things I’d like to do in 2017:
- Write more
- Finish this air crew pipeline and get to Hawaii please
- Maybe not break any more bones?
- Keep reading them books
- Cut back on swearing
- Keep ’em guessing