I was rushed today when I tried making this smoothie so I ended up following the recipe pretty closely, for once.
.5 cup yogurt
1 tbsp peanut butter
.5 cup frozen blueberries
.5 cup pineapple
1 cup kale
.5 cup water
- Put blueberries into cup extremely carefully because they stain everything and you don’t want to ruin your shirt. Wash hands immediately.
- Put in kale, maybe? And then pineapple? Oh, the can has juice. It’s close enough to a half a cup. Guess you don’t need water!
- Cup is full. Blend.
- Add yogurt and as much peanut butter as possible because you do what you want.
- Your BEST! friend insists on tasting it first. “It tastes like plants,” he assesses.
- Taste. Something is missing. Try it again. It’s all right.
- Hours later, your friend reads blog over shoulder and insists on being called “best friend.” Edit post.
Filling and yummy – can’t taste the kale – but I can’t help but feel like something is missing in terms of taste. I still can’t put my finger on it. I’ll try making this again in the future and I’ll do it a little differently. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions on things to add, subtract, or modify, please let me know!
UPDATE 27APR14: Thanks for all the suggestions! I made this again recently with frozen banana. I liked it a lot better that way. But there’s still an underlying acidity in the aftertaste – not sure if it’s the pineapple or the blueberries. Next time I make it, I’m going to try leaving out the pineapple and see if the acidity is still there.